The computer you are using only accesses library resources. This includes our catalogs and our electronic subscription databases. For full Internet access please visit the Internet Access computers. Please ask staff for assistance.
The Hyde Park collection of local history is a distinctive aspect of the collection. In addition there are large collections of Children's picture books, quilting books and golf books.
There is a separate teen collection located in the teen room on the first floor. The children's room occupies the entire ground floor of the Thomas M. Menino Wing and contains an extensive picture book collection. Materials to support basic literacy and English language learning are located near the reference desk on the first floor of the addition.
RECURRING PROGRAMMING OFFERED
Preschool story hours, and films are offered weekly for children. There is a monthly book discussion group for adults. There is a Winter Musical Program as well as annual book sales and lectures sponsored by the Friends of the Hyde Park Library.
Weekly one on one drop in computer instruction for adults. Monthly book discussion group for adults. English as a Second Language instruction offered in the branch and elsewhere in the neighborhood by staff from JVS-Boston, Please contact JVS-Boston directly for availability. Weekly staff led programs for teens using technology including computer gaming and Anime club. Weekly Preschool story time , Mommy and me program, play and learn block parties homework help by teens during the academic year.
SPECIAL PROGRAMMING OFFERED
Lecture programs are typically offered in the fall or spring focusing on topics of local interest including local history. Summer reading activities are offered for children.
Special events for children during school vacation weeks and summer. Weekly concerts in the garden during summer months sponsored by the Friends of the Hyde Park Branch Library, meetings and special events offered by the Hyde Park Historical Society.
The town of Hyde Park opened its first library in the Cobb's block of Everett Square in 1873. In 1884 it moved to larger quarters in the Masonic Block at the corner of Harvard Avenue and River Street. Ground was broken for the Town Library in December of 1898 and the magnificent building was opened in September, 1899. The Library became a branch of the Boston Public Library when the town joined the City of Boston in 1912. The marble fireplace, high ceilings, and turn of the century details have charmed patrons for generations. In 1997 ground was broken for a new addition and a renovation of the existing building. The project, which doubled the size of the branch, was designed by Schwartz/Silver Architects. A grand-reopening ceremony with Mayor Thomas M. Menino was held in January 2000. In May of 2006, the Hyde Park Branch was awarded a 2006 Best Accessible Design Award. This award, sponsored jointly by the Boston Society of Architects and the Massachusetts Architectural Access Board honors the design and construction of facilities which provide access
to persons with disabilities.