The computer you are using only accesses library resources. This includes our catalogs and our electronic subscription databases. For full Internet access please visit the Internet Access computers. Please ask staff for assistance.
ASPECTS OF THE COLLECTION Strong collections in urban fiction, popular music, teen fiction, anime, manga and a wide array of DVDs, from movies to popular TV series. There is also a modest collection of local history materials.
PROGRAMMING OFFERED Weekly toddler films, "Fun with Books,' teen movie matinees and a teen advisory board are all special features of this branch. There is also an
adult book discussion group on the 3rd Tuesday of each month.
PROGRAMMING OFFERED A monthly calendar of events offers a range of programs from films, author talks and readings, workshops, and educational activities for all ages. Summer reading programs are offered for children and teens. The Friends of the Mattapan Branch also has activities throughout the year. Please consult our calendar of events for more details.
The Mattapan Branch is teamed with the Mildred Avenue Middle School and the Mildred Avenue Community Center as part of Mayor Menino’s Community Learning Initiative, a multi-department collaboration aimed at helping Boston’s youth reach their full potential by coordinating learning and recreation throughout the day.
A view of the Childrens Room
Casual seating in the Teen Room
HISTORY As early as December 18, 1849 the people of Mattapan were concerned about library
facilities. It was on that date that Increase S. Smith founded the Mattapan Library
Association. On May 2, 1854, the Boston Public Library opened, and in 1870 the suburb of
Dorchester, which included Mattapan, was annexed to Boston. The Mattapan Branch evolved
over many years beginning with a reading room attached to the delivery station in the
Oakland Hall Building in Mattapan. In 1898, the book collection consisted of ninety-eight
Around 1924, the population of Mattapan began a rapid increase. As newer groups
began to establish themselves in the more central Boston neighborhoods, Jewish immigrants
moved in large numbers to Mattapan.
The small reading room was granted Branch status in 1923, but could not meet the demand
of the growing population. Annual circulation climbed from 20,000 volumes in 1924 to
75,010 in 1926. Mattapan residents requested a new library. Citizens' letters and
petitions took effect, and on June 22, 1931 the Mattapan Library Branch at 10 Hazelton Street opened its doors.
The Hazelton Street branch served the neighborhood well for more than 75 years, but with the formation of a Mattapan Library Task Force, the procurement of necessary funding in 1997, and the perseverance of Mayor Thomas Menino and Councilor Charles Yancey a new chapter began. On February 28, 2009 the Mattapan community celebrated the opening of an architecturally-stunning, technologically enhanced, and service-rich new Mattapan Branch at 1350 Blue Hill Avenue.