To fulfill the Boston Public Library's mission to serve the cultural, educational and informational needs of the City and the Commonwealth, the library provides test proctoring services when possible. Currently, we offer proctoring through the Social Sciences department at the Copley Square location. There is no charge for this service. Printer-friendly info sheet (PDF)
Jump to: Scheduling | Before Your Session | During and After Your Session | FAQ on Proctoring at the BPL
Scheduling a Proctoring Session:
- To schedule a proctoring session, please contact the Social Sciences Department supervisor at email@example.com.
- Proctoring requests must be received via email at least one (1) week and no earlier than four (4) weeks before the test date.
- Include in your request the course name and number, exam time limit, and whether your exam is online or in print.
- Sessions will be scheduled during regular library hours, Monday-Friday, at the Copley Square location; we cannot schedule tests for weekends. All tests must be completed 30 minutes before closing.
- The test must be received by the library at least 3 days before the test date.
- We can accept paper-based tests sent by postal mail or email, or acccessed through a website. We cannot accept tests via fax or brought in by students. Our mailing address is:
Boston Public Library
Social Science Department
700 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116
- For online tests, no software may be added to the library's computers and you cannot change computer settings. We also cannot guarantee uninterrupted Internet access.
- Proctoring sessions may not be longer than 4 hours.
Before Your Session:
- Get a list of testing requirements from your testing institution; you are responsible for following them, and for following all instructions they give you.
- Contact the library 3 days before the session to make sure that we have received your exam.
- Please be on time. Your session does not include study time as part of the proctoring service. If you are late, you may have to wait until a proctor is available to begin your session.
- Bring photo identification to your proctoring session. The name on the photo ID must match the name on the exam documents.
- You are responsible for providing all necessary supplies (pens, paper, calculator, etc.). Bring these with you to your session.
- If you are taking an online test, arrive early to make sure that your exam will run on our computers.
- You may bring a laptop to use for the test if your testing institution allows. We will provide free wireless access to the Internet and an electrical outlet, but we cannot provide technical support for your equipment.
During and After Your Session:
- A Boston Public librarian will be scheduled to proctor all exams. However, the proctor who begins supervising the exam may be replaced by another proctor before your exam is over.
- Due to the nature of a library, we cannot guarantee a quiet place or continuous monitoring throughout the exam. You will be in sight of the proctor and the proctor will check on you periodically. Library service takes priority over proctoring.
- Proctors cannot interpret test instructions or assist in technical matters for an online test.
- Proctors will enforce any rules listed in exam materials (e.g. time limits, use of textbooks, etc.).
Note: The audible use of mobile devices is prohibited in the reference area.
- You or your testing institution are responsible for any postage required to return your exam by mail.
We cannot return tests via fax.
- After your session, contact your testing institution and make sure they have received your completed exam. Allow a few days for exams returned via postal mail.
Important Facts about Proctoring at the Library:
- There is no charge for proctoring services at the library.
- Library staff cannot proctor an entire course of study or single tests requiring multiple sittings.
- Each proctoring session must be requested separately and scheduling cannot be guaranteed.
- Tests that have not been taken or rescheduled 30 days past the test date will be discarded.
- We will do our best to accommodate all requests, but staff schedules and technical challenges may interfere.
- We may have to cancel or change a test date due to inclement weather, computer malfunctions, etc.
We will do our best to contact you if this should occur.
- The library reserves the right to suspend this service at any time.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Social Sciences department supervisor at 617-859-2261